Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Quick and Easy Treats for Halloween!

Happy Halloween Lovelies~

  This Halloween I am actually working, so I won't get to hand out candy or go to costume parties or anything like that, but I am throwing a 'Season of the Dead' tea party on Sunday at my local Anime Convention and am making treats for it.

Because I love you all so much, I thought I'd share the recipe for Vampire Blood Lollipops I found on pintrist!

 What You'll Need !!!!

* Aluminium Pan

*Metal Ladle

* Candy Thermometer

* Silicone Baking Mat OR Parchment Paper

* 1/4 cup Water

* 2 cups Sugar


*  2/3 cup Light Corn Syrup


* Red Food Coloring   * A Bag of Ice 

* White Lollipop Stick  (Any color will do, but white looks cool when you get the red food coloring on your fingers ^_^ )   Ready?   Here we go!   First ~  Start with an Aluminium Pan as they conduct heat the best and are easiest to clean when this project is done.
 
Then ~ Combine the 1/4 cup water and 2/3 cup light corn syrup in the pan and over medium heat, gradually add the 2 cups of sugar until it is all dissolved, then turn the heat to high and let the sugar boil for 5-7 mins. Or until 300* - 310* degrees.
 
 


Warning!!!  This stage is DANGEROUS if you are not wearing an oven mitt. Please take ALL precautions when making these treats to avoid getting any sugar on yourself. Always work in teams of two unless experienced with making hard candy.

 Next ~ Quickly take the pan off the heat and put it in the ice. The pan will hiss and sizzle, don't be alarmed! Let it sit for a few seconds, then give it a few swirls for good measure. This cools the molten sugar to a point that it's workable. This process is quick and should take a maximum of 25 - 30 seconds, but no longer! Any longer than this and the candy will be to cold to work with.



Finally ~ Once cool enough to work with, but still hot enough to pour, use your Metal Ladle and pour blobs onto your Silicone Backing Mat or Parchment Paper, whichever you are using. This is were having a second set of hands helps. While you are pouring, your kitchen helper should be adding the Lollipop sticks and sprinkling the Red Food Coloring over the hot sugar.




Let the Lollipops sit for 10 mins. or so before peeling them up and eating them or wrapping them or what have you.

 This was my first attempt at making these. I have since this picture I have made four more batches and I think I now have the look I down pat.

 Don't worry about making them perfectly round, it's not going to happen. Just have fun with it and enjoy a project that takes no longer than 20 Mins from start to finish.


Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...