Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Penning Letters: A Lost Art?




Hello Lovelies~

  While I was waiting for my manager to open the back office so I could clock out at work, I was hanging out in the Fine Art section and while browsing about, I happened to look to my left and see an entire section of quill nibs, wooden bodies, and pots of ink, just sitting on a shelf as if it were the year 1800 and everyone, including their sister-in-law's mother's step brother is carving out the time in their busy day to sit down at truly write a letter.

I know the intention is for wedding invitations and the like, but it got me thinking about my own neglected Quill set hiding in my room and I longed to truly sit and write someone. But Who?

 With information able to be sent faster than the speed of light, why sit down and pen a letter to someone when E-mail is so easy? By the time the letter is received the news is old, though the opinions still valid.

So why do it? 

 Simple. Because e-mail is so easy, people never get mail that isn't Junk or Bills. Sure the occasional Holiday card is received, but even that is getting side lined by e-cards and the instant no postage required attitude.

Hand writing a letter let's someone know that you took the time out of your day to sit and think about them for however long it took you to write the letter. Whether you use a Quill like I like to, or you use a pen or even a pencil, it's a more heart felt way to say, 'I Love You'.

 So before you sit down and fire off an e-card or write a two page long e-mail to your Sister telling her about the wonderful family trip you just took, think about the surprise and joy your receiver will get when they find your letter in the mail, tucked between the coupons for Pizza Hut and the Midnight Velvet catalog.

Happy Writings!

6 comments:

Kim S. said...

I've always loved the idea of handwritten letters. I, too, have plenty of pens (both inked and quill) that I've collected, but never used to write letters to friends.
You have inspired me to yet again begin my quest to collect penpals.

AngelShinigami said...

I'm glad I could inspire you. Go, collect penpals and exchange letters! There is nothing better than receiving tangible mail from friends.

Anonymous said...

I handwrite letters with a calligraphy pen and cute stationery ^u^v

Before I moved, I would send letters to LJ friends (some of whom I have never met) just because it is fun! Now I don't have my calligraphy set any more, and it wouldn't work for writing Chinese anyway XD But I still love to write letters by hand! It just feels more personal and special :)

AngelShinigami said...

I agree. It's very personal to take the time to write someone. It always makes me smile to get letters.

Ribbonlicious said...

I have so many cute stationery here, but sad nobody loves hand writting letter .////.'

AngelShinigami said...

Well I do. I'd write to you if you wanted a penpal ^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...