Sunday, August 30, 2009

Who are we hurting?

I'm sure a lot of you are tired of hearing about this, but since this horse isn't dead, I'm going to get my own kicks in until it is.

For the past two year I have run the Beginning Lolita, Advanced Lolita, and Lolita on a Dime, panels at Nebraskon, Otaku Omaha, and Anime Central, not to mention the convention I have been scheduled at and unable to attend. I have a lot of experience with helping new and questioning Lolita's start on their beautiful paths. I feel it is my duty, as the more experienced Lolita to help them out.

New girls aren't going to know the rules right off the bat. It's not like the knowledge is downloaded into our skulls the moment we decided to get our first frilly dress or Bible. We learn as we go. Trial and Error.

Where does it say in the handbook that we can't wear poka dots and stripes? I'd like to point out that Angelic Pretty has done it. Please note, I didn't say they did it well, but they did it, that lots of girls bought the dresses and skirts and socks in all of the bright pastel colors and shocking red it came is and no one said boo about it. Why? Because it was Brand and Brand can do no wrong....

Is this fair? That Brand can get away with such ghastly coordinates and yet wearing the wrong socks with an otherwise lovely outfit can get you slandered on anon picture posting sites. It's grossly disrespectful and I think it's time for it to stop.

I think new ideas should be embraced and celebrated! Sure, an Iowa State patterned Lolita outfit isn't the best Idea, we all know it, but it's not my idea to judge. I don't have to wear it. It's someone else's idea and good for them for thinking outside the small box the Lolita Community has made for it's self.

I take pride in helping any Lolita that asks for coordination advice or hair help. Gentle nudges are what the community need, not cliff like shoves.

Remember, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's not our place to tell someone else how to wear their outfit, it's our honor to suggest matching nail polish and shoes.

We were all new once.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...