Monday, August 24, 2009

The Grey in a Black and White World

In the past week I have noticed something about myself that I thought I'd talk about this week. My thoughts on the subject being that maybe there are a few of you out there with the same problem.

I am a full time Lolita. I love waking up in the morning and pulling out a cute frilly skirt for the day. I love doing my hair and deciding what nails to wear for the day, I love it all. But lately I found myself curbing my exuberant Lolita lifestyle due to the hawk like disapproval of my family, my mother only included due to my non working-ness at the moment.

It's a terrible feeling to be beautiful for the day and then get a look that silently screams 'Seriously?' before we go out for the day. In the beginning she didn't care that I'd gotten into the style, in fact she wanted to start wearing it to, but as time went on, she became more and more disgruntled at my expensive habits.

So this week I'd like to share with ya'll a few ways I've found to keep my Lolita lifestyle, while still conforming to what she and the rest of my family feel I should look like while at the grocery store...

When you wake up in the morning, instead of reaching for the marshmallow cereal and the coke you hid at the back of the fridge, or cup of coffee if that's your thing, try taking the extra effort to cut up you favorite fruit and have a yummy fruit salad. For a little extra fun, try carving the less squishy fruit into fun shapes, or getting small cookie cutters and shaping them that way.

Wear a night gown with a ruffle around the bottom to bed, or a cute patterned pants set if you like. Never forget that you asleep for at least eight hours a night, shouldn't you be as pretty in sleep as you are when awake?

Make a little time in your day for tea. It doesn't have to be a lavish affair with bone china and silver sugar cube tongs, but a cup of your favorite tea does wonders for ignoring the world for a few minutes. If you have the time, have it in your favorite tea cup.

Want something a little more off the wall? How about flower arranging? Go to your local supermarket and pickup a bouquet of flowers. It can be any kind, from roses to carnations, but having bright sweet smelling flowers around will allow you to see your creation every time you pass it.

I hope these small activities help you keep the feeling of Lolita in your life, even if you are feeling leery about wearing your fluffy dresses and tea party replicas or if you're new to the style and don't have a large wardrobe built up yet.

Remember. You hold the key to your happiness. No one else. If you don't like the situation, change it.

1 comment:

Hi-Chan said...

You are a great person Kat dont let it bother you. Just keep on living like you dont care and either they will accept you or they will deal with it and learn to keep their mouths shut.

Sorry I didnt say it sooner " Happy Birthday!!!"
Too bad I have to work and will miss the party.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...